New computer advice

Need help with anything? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Eddy
Insane Member
Insane Member

New computer advice

Post by Eddy »

Hello............

Guys, i haven't upgraded my computer for about 6 years now, and now i really need a new computer but i am extremely outdated with all these processors and memory.......... i konw some computer, i build my computer 6 years ago but i am looking to just buy a system right now.

i mainly need it for photoshop work, going through the wedding is a hassle in my old PC, takes foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr........so i am wondering what are the latest technologies .......any advice on what processors etc.......

oh yeah, no macs, i hate macs with a passion. and i already konw way to many "photographers" recommending me macs, but i just can't stand MAC ahhhhhh..... sorry about that.....

so anyways, any advice on a good decent computer ...... i'm a dell and sony fan in terms of design..........

oh yeah....i'm looking to keep my budget under $1500......so any advice would be greatly appreaciated =)

i think you guys, especially mike, konws alot more about computers than i do.

good day =)
Mikey_
Life is good. Be inspired.

Post by Mikey_ »

I used to recommend desktop computers over laptops, but nowadays, laptops are powerful enough. I also like the mobility convenience that laptops provide.

So, my recommendation is that you get a Pentium M processor at minimum. Forget about Pentium 4 or Celeron M. If you have the money, I absolutely recommend the Duo Core processor, which basically gives your laptop "2 brains" -- perfect for Photoshop once it's able to take full advantage of it (hopefully within the next 2 versions.) More "brains" will give you better performance if the program is written to use "multithreading."

Unless you want to be able to play the latest games, I'd recommend the Dell Inspiron 1405 or 1505. The 1405 is newer, is only a 14", but supposedly has up to 9 hours (!!!) of battery life -- of course, if you're going to do Photoshop on it constantly, it'll probably drop to hmm... I don't know... 3 hours?

Keep checking http://www.bensbargains.net every day for coupon codes for Dell Home. You do NOT want to buy from Dell without a coupon from Ben's Bargains or other deal sites, even if Dell claims to give you "50%" off -- usually you can get better than that.

I currently have the 17" Inspiron XPS Gen 2, but it only cranks out about 1.5 hours of battery life because of its powerful video card. It uses the Pentium M 2 Ghz processor with a WUXGA wide-screen resolution LCD. Be warned: text will appear VERY small to you and it'll take a long time to get used to it. This high resolution provides a LOT of advantages for Photoshop, Word, etc., but at the expense of your eyes. Windows Vista is supposed to fix this issue when it comes out.

If you're going to get a 17" laptop, go with WSXGA+ (I might go to WUXGA still if Vista actually does fix that tiny font issue at such high resolutions.)

If you're going for 15", then I'd say go for WXGA+ or WSXGA+

If you have the money and want absolute processing power, go for the Dell Inspiron XPS M1710 -- but like my own XPS laptop, battery life is going to suffer. It's perfect for home, but if you want to be able to work outdoors and want to get more than just 1 hour of battery life, don't get the XPS.

Personally for me? I'll be selling my Inspiron XPS Gen 2 and wait for Dell to come out with a new 15" Widescreen Inspiron XPS laptop that has Dual Core and a battery life of at least 3 hours when playing a DVD. Since I'm a gamer, I'll also want an ATI or nVidia graphics card in that laptop.

Again, if you don't need absolute power for gaming, then the Dell Inspiron 1405 or 1505 are PERFECT choices right now. I don't know the exact specs for 1505, but I do know that I like the 1405 (except the screen is only 14".) If I remember correctly though, because the 1405 is the newest one Dell has released, it also has the best features. It costs about $700.

By the way, if you're going to buy the 1405, buy it from eBay. Dell recently had a flood of massive deals and people bought them in HUGE quantities trying to make a profit of them on eBay. Big mistake for them, awesome deals for YOU. Just make sure the person you're buying it from on eBay has:

1. Excellent feedback rating
2. States that it has full warranty. I suggest you get a unit with 2 year warranty.
3. Promises to do an Ownership transfer for you -- this is done online via Dell's website. If he/she doesn't transfer ownership to you, Dell will refuse service to you in the future.

Of course, eBay has its risks. To be absolutely safe, buy direct from Dell (but don't forget to use coupons from BensBargains.net whenever they post one!)

Michael

PS: Intel is releasing Quad Core processors in Q1 2007. Which probably means, Q2 or Q3 2007 will see 4-core processors in laptops too. Technology will always get better. If you need an upgrade now, buy it now. I just can't wait until Dell releases a new laptop that matches my EXACT needs (again, they ALMOST got it with their 1405 model.)
Eddy
Insane Member
Insane Member

Post by Eddy »

hey mike,

thanks for putting this in the right catagory.

i was thinking about laptops, but wasn't sure of their performance, because i have a dell 700m and i found out that is only good for microsoft word and internet.....

the dual processors sounds very interesting, i'm gonna look into it. i think i will get it from dell directly just to eliminate any hassle with the ebay stuffs.

thanks so much.
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

Ok. Don't forget to use the coupons.

The 700m definitely isn't good for multimedia enthusiasts or for multimedia processing. Its biggest plus is its size.
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

Inspiron 1705 for about $1,200 + tax: http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/611218/

Excellent specs, but I wonder how the battery life is...
Poloboy

Post by Poloboy »

You should definitely wait for Intel Core 2 Duo.
Eddy
Insane Member
Insane Member

Post by Eddy »

wow that looks like a tremendous deal mike !

poloboy, what is a intel core 2 duo? is it alot better?

i saw another deal for a dell desktop.......

i am tore apart on which one to get, they both have deadlines or max buyers etc....

btw, after buying camera stuffs, these computer stuffs don't seem as expensive as before. especially how much use i get out of them ....and also i can just sell one lens and be able to support a WHOLE computer....anyways....that's enough of ranting about camera monoploy.

thanks for the coupon......
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

Yup, definitely the camera thing makes computers look like a JOKE.

Laptop: if you want to be able to take your work elsewhere, hook up a GPS navigation system to be used with Streets and Trips 2006, watch movies at camping trips, ... BUT: bad for your body. Consider hooking up an external mouse, keyboard, and monitor to it.

Desktop: raw processing power. Upgradability.

Intel Core 2 Duo? You mean, Core Duo, right?
Poloboy

Post by Poloboy »

core 2 duo is the next new version of core duo. it increases more performance and reduce the power. I don't know how long it will be out. it should be in fall quarter.
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

Ouch... too long for me to wait for :P
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

I bought the E1505 for $1380 after rebate - price before rebate, coupons, and employee discounts was $2411.

I like the system (initial reaction) and will have to test it out some more. However, the graphics card isn't as good as my 1-year old Inspiron XPS Gen 2 system. Bummer... In any case, I would rather have a 4-6 hour battery life over 1.5 hours. Less gaming graphics power for more battery life.

Eddy, sorry that you missed out on the deal -- it came to somewhere between 36% - 47% off... (in my case, 47% off)

Let me know what your budget is, what system you want, and I'll let you know via phone call when a good deal pops up again.

Polo: Merom's coming out in August from what I've read.

Michael
Eddy
Insane Member
Insane Member

Post by Eddy »

no problem mike,

thanks for the heads up before also, didn't know 40%+ was even possible for computer deals.

my budget....man i just spend some good money on online advertisment........ and i think i will end up getting a desktop because i like my 20'' lcd, its just better for organizing and graphics. anyways, i think budget is around 1000-1200.

thanks alot mike

Yun
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

You can also use the laptop to hook up to your LCD and use it that way :)

Either way, a desktop is also an excellent choice -- you'll get more power for less money, plus upgradability. The only thing that sucks about it is that you can't take it with you on travel (not easily at least.)

So, you want a desktop for sure?
Eddy
Insane Member
Insane Member

Post by Eddy »

oh you are RIGHT, ican hook up to my lcd.....haha

i think i am definitely gonig for a desktop for the money/power reason and i really like my compact 700m, extremely light when shooting on location.

and i think i can put more stuffs in a desktop, i mean like cards and stuff, i could be wrong tho.
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

You are right in all those accounts...

If you want a desktop, why not build your own then? :)