Ever tried Kayaking or Snowboarding before?

Photography, Origami, knitting, gambling, sea shells, vacations... you name it! Share your hobbies with like-minded enthusiasts here.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Mikey_
Life is good. Be inspired.

Ever tried Kayaking or Snowboarding before?

Post by Mikey_ »

I went about a month ago. Wow, what a peaceful, calming experience at Newport Back Bay! I plan on going again sometime when things get warmer :)

Next on my list: November 21, snowboarding at Mountain High, California :)

SkiDazzle Expo is coming up December 2nd, and my friend, petiteling, and I are planning to buy some snowboarding equipment and a season pass ;)

MB_Rockstar, you going? Anybody else in Orange County, California wanting to join?

Michael
mb_rockstar
Special Guest
Special Guest

Re: Ever tried Kayaking or Snowboarding before?

Post by mb_rockstar »

i'm definately going to try out kayaking next year when it's warmer.

yea... snowboarding is not for me anymore, but i'm up for sledding though haha or ice skating! lol*
Mikey_ wrote:I went about a month ago. Wow, what a peaceful, calming experience at Newport Back Bay! I plan on going again sometime when things get warmer :)

Next on my list: November 21, snowboarding at Mountain High, California :)

SkiDazzle Expo is coming up December 2nd, and my friend, petiteling, and I are planning to buy some snowboarding equipment and a season pass ;)

MB_Rockstar, you going? Anybody else in Orange County, California wanting to join?

Michael
"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

No more snowboarding? But whyyyyyyy?
mb_rockstar
Special Guest
Special Guest

Post by mb_rockstar »

sigh* everyone says the same thing to me. i really wish it worked out, but it's just not for me. i'm not cut out to go snowboarding....i suck. i've tried three and a half times already and....yea..........not my thing.

i'm sorry. have fun for me though. ^_^
Mikey_ wrote:No more snowboarding? But whyyyyyyy?
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

Maybe people aren't teaching you well enough? ;) Come with us coz I suck too :)
mb_rockstar
Special Guest
Special Guest

Post by mb_rockstar »

maybe lol* i'll think about it. ;)
Mikey_ wrote:Maybe people aren't teaching you well enough? ;) Come with us coz I suck too :)
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

Okay, you had 6 hours to think thus far. Any change? :)
mb_rockstar
Special Guest
Special Guest

Post by mb_rockstar »

it's warmer now, let's go kayaking soon!! who's up for it?

http://www.newportaquaticcenter.com

i'll let you know by september if i'm up for snowboarding. ;)
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

Since we got too lazy to go last Saturday/Sunday, let's plan on going this weekend. I know, I know... been talking about it the past 2-3 weeks, but you know, what must be done first must be done first.

We'll see who else is going. La Jolla maybe? Camping maybe the weekend after that. If not, I'll sign up for scuba diving class then or go hiking.

Michael
mb_rockstar
Special Guest
Special Guest

Post by mb_rockstar »

we'll see about this weekend. still not clear about my new schedule. yes, i understand that certain things need to be taken care of first.

la jolla looks good. ^_^ camping would be great, but again, we'll see how things go. hiking definitely!! :D lucky bastard, if i knew how to swim and had the funds, i'd sign up for scuba class too. oh, well...someday i will.

when are you going to have another pool party? or maybe....swimming lesson on the weekend. yea! lol*

:D
violetvv
Curious Member
Curious Member

Post by violetvv »

I never tried Kayaking or Snowboarding. From past experiences nothing good ever seems to happen to me when I?m around water. I usually try to stay away from water unless it?s absolutely necessary. If kayaking is anything like canoeing. It gives you a great upper body workout. I wish I know how to swim, though. Swimming is an excellent way to get a total body workout. As far as snowing boarding goes.... I can already see myself rolling down the hill. I am such a klutz when it comes to outdoors actitvities. :?
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

Violet, things can be learned if you have the right person to teach you :)

Kayaking definitely is a good upper-body workout. Been wanting to go for the past month, only to cancel last weekend due to wanting to veg out after so many months of work :)
mb_rockstar
Special Guest
Special Guest

Post by mb_rockstar »

i agree, it all depends on who's teaching you. so far, i haven't had much luck. 3 people tried teaching me last time i went snowboarding. one actually almost had luck, but he taught me in such a way where i depended on him too much for support. once he let go, i tumbled and crashed.

so, what do you do when you're traumatized by this? it took me awhile, but i've made my decision and i'm not going to let fear overcome me. sigh*......i'll try once again, provided i have a good instructor. this means i gotta start doing some shopping for snow gear again. thank goodness i have this new job with a decent pay.

i just got a letter in the mail today stating when i'm going to start and how much i'll be getting. looks like they increased my pay from what they said. woo hoo!

you deserve to veg out once in awhile, as long as it doesn't become a habit. hahaha*
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

I'd wait on the gear purchase because I'm sure you'll lose even more weight by the time winter comes along.
mb_rockstar
Special Guest
Special Guest

Post by mb_rockstar »

thanks mike, i'll do just that. ;)
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

Just an update: Mb has gotten quite good at snowboarding. Considering this is her first season, she's already picked up how to snowboard down the hill on either heel or toe side. She also sort of knows how to switch from one to the other.

Next season? I think she'll know how to carve! Nice! Mammoth, here we come! Let's hope all the other people will have time to go too!
mb_rockstar
Special Guest
Special Guest

Snowboarding

Post by mb_rockstar »

It took a lot of falling and getting back up, and I finally recognized something that people have been telling me ever since I started snowboarding. It's all in your head! Fear was causing me to hesitate a lot while going down the hill. Once you are able to get by that fear, it's all smooth sailing from there. Everyone will go through this kind of fear the first time they try snowboarding, but you just have to learn to not give up and try and try again.

I started doing toe-side accidently because I was trying to avoid someone without stopping and when it came time to get off the lift, I just told myself to focus straight ahead and not look down. Finally, I am able to keep my balance up (most of the time) throughout the day.

Can't wait until the Mammoth trip! ^_^
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

Fear of falling hindered me too when I first started, but what helped me was to not give up. Whenever I fell, I got myself up right away no matter how tired I was. Of course, it's absolutely important that you learn how to FALL correctly first -- many people ignore this very, very important factor. You do NOT want to get hurt to the point of hospitalization.

I'm glad I had a good teacher.

But in any case, determination and some risk-taking (be smart about it though!) are some of the keys to success. Whenever either or both components lack, I've seen over and over that those people (including myself) tend not to improve as much as they could have.

Michael