Music: Joey Yung's "My Pride"

Share your opinions and thoughts on new and old releases here.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Mavis

Music: Joey Yung's "My Pride"

Post by Mavis »

With Kelly cooling off and Sammi turning her attention to acting, Joey should have a good chance in stepping up as the "most popular singer". However, this album may suggest otherwise.
Starting from track 1, every other track except the 2nd last one is an introlude to the upcoming song. Some worked well, like the first track "Geminian theme" and the one where Roman Tam spoke "Lesson One", but some were better off to go without it.

Title track (Track 10) "My Pride" is a big hit right now. A pleasant tune with positive upbeat lyrics, something that Hong Kong definitely needs right now. I liked the mandarin version better (track 20 "Girl spreading wings"), but Joey's pronounciation (sometimes improper, other times too intentional) kept the song from being perfect.

Other slow songs in the album are also great, like track 2 "Habit of breaking up" and track 6 "Fading heart". Track 18 "Last lesson" is Joey's tribute to Roman, and is by far the best song in terms of performance.

The same thing couldn't be said for fast songs though. Track 8 "Honey" and track 12 "Abnocious" sounds more suitable for Twins than Joey. I really wonder what the producer was thinking, because the overall feel in the album was a more elegant Joey, but these songs really ruined the theme. I think fast songs from her early days like "Unknown" or "Lastest information", or even track 4 "Stunning" was better suited for Joey.

Rating: 7.5/10
Recommendations:
Track 2 "Habit of breaking up"
Track 4 "Stunning"
Track 10 "My pride"
Track 18 "The last lesson"
Mikey_
Life is good. Be inspired.
Life is good. Be inspired.

Post by Mikey_ »

I enjoyed this album as well. "My Pride" was especially nice :) (I also liked the Mandarin version more)

You can buy the CD here