Review on music industry 2003

Have a passion for music? Discuss it here.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Mavis
Crazed Fan
Crazed Fan

Review on music industry 2003

Post by Mavis »

Just going to do some ranting about the music released in 2003. Please go to the entertainment board for a general review of the year it was in showbiz.

While most of the year-end music awards are obviously biased, it also showed that overall it was a weak year in terms of music quality, given that so many different songs won different awards. There was no dominate song or album, even though I thought Edmond Leung's "10" was by far the best album in 2003.

In terms of actual performance, I actually thought that Twins had the best year. They finally had some songs which were decent, and not considered childish. Boyz and 2R might look good on paper, but do yourself a favour and don't listen to their music.

The female music scene in HK was rather weak. Joey Yung was the big winner, thanks to all the major singers like Sammi, Kelly and Miriam taking the battle to the theatres. I'm sorry but "My Pride" is probably the worst song of the year in any awards show ever. Let's see if her conceded comments ("Maybe other singers should try harder next year") will haunt her. Gigi Leung also had a good year, and if she had a big hit in the 1st half of 2003 she might have given Joey a run for those top prizes. While Jade Kwan didn't exactly fall of the cliff, she was nowhere as hot as she was at the beginning of last year.

Some of the female newcomers were impressive, like Stephanie Cheng Yung, too bad most of the media other than Commercial Radio didn't care. It also didn't help that many of the names sound so similar. There's Cheng Yung and Wong Yung. There's also another newcomer surname Wong that had only 2 words in her name.

It was completely the other way around for female singers in Taiwan. Jolin Tsai made a big comeback after a 1.5 year hiatus and her albumw as the best seller in Taiwan in 2003. Elva Hsiao, A-Mei and Fish Leong continue to press and ensure that Jolin will not stay comfortable at the top. However, it was the group SHE that led all singer sales in 2003, despite's Ella's dangerous accident in August.

The battle among male singers in Taiwan was just as fierce, led by David Tao and Jay Zhou. Other veterans like Emil Chou and Harlem Yu, made great albums as they usually do. Male newcomers in Taiwan had a rather tough time though, or at least I couldn't remember anyone who made a memorable debut.

COMEBACKS....that's the theme for male singers in HK for the past year. Led by Edmond Leung and Leo Koo, too a lesser extent Ronald Cheng, Julian Cheung and Lui Fong. Andy's "If one day..." was my favourite song of the year, and if there was any justice it should've been made the song of year by every station just because of the lyrics (rumour is that Andy wrote the song after his legal battle with Juno Mak's father). Andy Hui did nothing spectacular, but somehow still won the gold male singer award from CR903. Hacken was the repeat winner from TVB JSG awards. Eason, bothered by both his father's legal problems and his contract with EEG, almost came up empty on all of the awards. Male newcomers were less than inspiring. Deep Wu, dubbed the better looking Eason, has by far the worst English name in Chinese showbiz. Other male newcomers makes Edwin Siu looking like a star.
Mikey_
Life is good. Be inspired.

Post by Mikey_ »

Mavis,

I have never really seen this comedic side of yours before :)
Deep Wu, dubbed the better looking Eason, has by far the worst English name in Chinese showbiz.
Michael
Mavis
Crazed Fan
Crazed Fan

Post by Mavis »

Well....I guess people gets more sarcastic as they get older. But the better looking Eason part was "created" by the media.
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

I see, I see.

And I completely agree with you: the older you get, the more it seems that being sarcasticly funny is a common trait among us oldies :)

Michael