The year it was in Chinese showbiz...2003

Talk about anything entertainment here.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Mavis
Crazed Fan
Crazed Fan

The year it was in Chinese showbiz...2003

Post by Mavis »

2003 was definitely one of the most memorable years in Chinese showbiz.

4 Names: Leslie Cheung, CK Lam, Ke Shou Liang (Blackie), Anita Mui....RIP :cry:

There was the ICAC "Dance shadow" operation. Unfortunately the only losers were Juno Mak (his dad is probably thanking ICAC or else how many more millions of dollars will his son waste) and Chan Siu Bo (who was let go by Universal). Despite the operation, most of the music awards show are still badly fixed, as singers from the EEG Group (the group that was accuse of all those not so decent practises) still won most of the year-end music awards.

SARS...drove everyone out of the theatres for almost 3 months, but the 1:99 concert was a success.

Piracy is still a major problem, but the movie industry has taken its steps by lowering the prices of VCDs and DVDs to the point that there's no reason to take the risk of buying pirated stuff (not to mention its bad quality). Take a note, record companies.

Many celebrities (or their family members) still have no concept of what a law-abiding citizen should be.

NOT all was bad news though. The movie industry made a decent comeback with several good to great movies this year following the success of Inferno Affairs in 2002. Speaking of comebacks, there was also Edmond Leung, Leo Koo, and to a smaller extent, Taiwan's Jolin Choi, who's album was the best selling album in Taiwan for 2003.

Anyway, let's hope for a better 2004.
Mikey_
Life is good. Be inspired.

Post by Mikey_ »

Indeed a lot has changed and remained the same.

How much are the CDs now? I think that China also received tremendous pressure from the U.N. to curb piracy as a condition to join the organization.

Oh, one more thing to add: China's interest in getting a space program going to show its new might. I think this is a good thing as it'll also spur the USA to speed up its space program too -- there's no better motivation than competition, isn't it?

As far as I have read, China is planning to be the first, permanent space station on the Moon.

Michael
Mavis
Crazed Fan
Crazed Fan

Post by Mavis »

CD prices in HK are between $8 - $12 US. Has been that way for years.

With regards to the space program. I think it was all hype. China tries to show that it has the ability but one, they didn't land on the moon, two, many countries probably has the technology to send someone into space but it's just not worth the effort.

The Russians and American have a permanent space station now, but what direct effect does it have on most human beings living on earth. Obvious all the space exploration is beneficial to the world, but China has a lot more other priorities on hand that are much more urgent than the space program.
mscara

Post by mscara »

I didn't realise Blacky died. I never knew much about him. Don't think his death was as news worthy as Leslie's or Anita's. That, itself is sad.

Definitely not a good year for the HK Entertainment scene. Such a great loss to everyone. =(

Btw, who's CK Lam??

Mscara.
"Sarcasm is one service I offer - for women who take no crap"
twinklesstars
Curious Member
Curious Member

Post by twinklesstars »

CK Lam is HK famous lycrist or producer or music composer.

Rachel
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

Mavis,

Sure, the international space station is permanent, but I think China and the USA are thinking about building one on the Moon, and then eventually terra-form Mars.

The thing that interests me the most is: when will Earth be destroyed again? And by whom/ what? After watching a few space documentaries, one would think we'd be accelerating our space programs :)

Michael
Mavis
Crazed Fan
Crazed Fan

Post by Mavis »

mscara, Blackie died on 12/12 (I think somewhere around there). He died after going to 3 banquets and drank a lot. Not sure if he died because of alcohol poisoning or asthma attack.

Lam Cheng Keung was one of the best lyricist/writer in the 80s and 90s. His ability was much more than that though. He was also well known in the advertising industry (he was the one who came up with the name Next Magazine and Appledaily) and wrote columns for those publications for over 10 years.
mscara

Post by mscara »

Hi Mavis,

Thanks for the info. about Blacky and CK Lam. Do you have a pic of CK Lam?

Cheers,

Mscara. :D
"Sarcasm is one service I offer - for women who take no crap"