Salmon: Suggested Cooking Time/Method

Have a passion for food or want to discuss cuisines? Share your ideas here.... Yum, yum!

Moderator: Forum Mods

How would you rate this tip?

Excellent
No votes
Good
No votes
Okay
No votes
Bad
No votes
Very Bad
No votes

Total votes: 0

Mikey_
Life is good. Be inspired.
Life is good. Be inspired.

Salmon: Suggested Cooking Time/Method

Post by Mikey_ »

I've heard on a cooking show on the radio the following recommendations for cooking Salmon:

Measure the thickest part of the Salmon. Cook the fish for a total of 7-8 mins/inch (ie. 4 minutes on each side per inch)

Tip: You do NOT want to flip the Salmon more than once when frying in your pan. That means, cook one side for 4 minutes/inch and THEN flip it over to cook for another 4 minutes/inch. That's it. No more flipping back and forward.

This wasn't said on the show, but I usually cook with a medium heat. Don't use high heat or you'll quickly dry out the fish.

Many people discard the dry parts that are left in the pan after you've removed the salmon. Well, those parts actually contain a LOT of flavor. You can make sure of it by putting in 1 cup of a liquid and let it simmer over medium heat. This 1 cup of liquid can be white wine (don't worry, all of the alcohol will have evaporated by the time it's done) or 1/2 broth (ie. chicken) and 1/2 milk. Be sure to add some seasoning to that liquid. I often either use Oregano or Thyme.

In terms of garnishing the salmon... Well, I tend to serve it with rice (hey, I'm Chinese!) or mashed potatoes. Maybe some slices of lemon. I even put a slice of cheese on top of the salmon (melted cheese.... mmmm!)

Enjoy :)

Michael