RECIPE: Thai Dish

Have a passion for food or want to discuss cuisines? Share your ideas here.... Yum, yum!

Moderator: Forum Mods

How would you rate this recipe?

5 - Excellent
No votes
4 - Good
No votes
3 - Okay
No votes
2 - Bad
No votes
1 - Very Bad
No votes

Total votes: 0

mb_rockstar
Special Guest
Special Guest

RECIPE: Thai Dish

Post by mb_rockstar »

Today was my day off and I decided to surprise my mom with dinner. It's been a long time since I've done something like this for her. You should have seen the look on her face, it was picture perfect. hehe*

It's one of the easiest dishes I like to make.

"Gkuay Dtiow Pad Seeyew"
Translation: Stir-fried wide fresh rice noodles

1 lb. fresh wide rice noodles
1/2 lb. chicken or pork meat
2-3 tsp. light soy sauce
About 6 stalks broccoli
3-4 Tbs. peanut oil
6 cloves chopped garlic
2-3 Tbs. black soy sauce
1-2Tbs. fish sauce
2-3 tsp. sugar
3 large eggs
1/4 tsp. ground white pepper

Rinse the broccoli. Slice length-wise.

Slice the chicken or pork into thin pieces. Add 2-3 teaspoons of light soy sauce and a couple of dashes of white pepper over the pieces and coat them evenly. Set aside.

Take the noodles and, as much as possible, separate them into individual strands so that they do not lump up in stir-frying. Place in a bowl. Just before cooking, add a bit of the black soy sauce over the noodles and toss to evenly coat the strands.

Swirl about four tablespoons of oil over the surface of a well-heated wok or pan. Saute the chopped garlic in the oil for a few seconds, then add the chicken or pork. Stir-fry until the chicken or pork pieces start to change color and are no longer so raw and pink on the outside. Toss in the noodles along with the remaining drops of black soy in the bowl. Stir and spread out over heated surface of the wok. Let noodles pan-fry about half a minute, then add the broccoli stems. Stir and let fry another half to one minute before adding the broccoli. Stir and spread mixture over wok surface and allow to pan-fry 1-2 minutes more. Add the mixture with some sugar and fish sauce. Stir and mix well.

Push the noodles up along the sides of the wok to make an empty space on the bottom. Crack in the eggs, break the yolks with the edge of the spatula and allow them to fry and set in large chunks, flipping the noodles over gently as necessary. When the eggs are cooked through, break into smaller chunks and toss in with noodles. Sprinkle liberally with white pepper. Toss well.

dang it, I should have taken a picture of it. I realized too late. :P doh! next time.
"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Lexi
Lunatic
Lunatic

Post by Lexi »

Hi MB,

You are making me so hungry! You must come over to my house and make this for me when I get back. I love to eat! :-D

Anyway, I had to have blood drawn this afternoon. Not one tear, I'll have you know. :) So I celebrated my bravery with a strawberry banana smoothie like the one Mike posted about earlier.

Hope that you are doing well. Take care.

Lex