Gollum from Lord of the Rings gets a Health check

Romance, Comedy, Action, ... Satisfy your craving for movies here.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Mikey_
Life is good. Be inspired.

Gollum from Lord of the Rings gets a Health check

Post by Mikey_ »

Gollum, the creepy character in "Lord of the Rings" with the dual personality and eerie voice, suffered from a schizoid personality disorder, according to a group of medical students.
Thirty students at University College London were asked to explain the odd behavior the character displayed in the films based on the J.R.R. Tolkien trilogy.

The students noted his solitary habits, spiteful behavior, odd interests, difficulty in forming friendships, emotional changeability, nervousness and paranoia.

"He fulfils seven of the nine criteria for schizoid personality disorder, and, if we must label Gollum's problems, we believe this is the most likely diagnosis," Dr Elizabeth Sampson, who headed the research team, said in the British Medical Journal on Friday.
His two personalities -- Gollum and Smeagol -- convinced some students it was a case of schizophrenia or multiple personality disorder.

But schizophrenia was ruled out because delusions were not in keeping with Gollum's culture. The interaction between the two personalities shows Gollum is aware of both Smeagol and Gollum at the same time, which is inconsistent with multiple personality disorder, in which one is usually suppressed.

His bulging eyes and weight loss also suggests a thyroid problem, they added.
Lexi
Lunatic
Lunatic

Post by Lexi »

Interesting. I think the behaviorial sciences are fascinating. I almost decided to double major in psychology in college but I decided against it in the end. I just wanted to hurry up and be done with school.

Anyway, I am a Lord of the Rings fan and found this to be interesting.

Have a great day!

Lexi
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

I have yet to watch LOTR: Return of the King Extended Edition ... it contains an additional 50 minutes (!) over the theatrical release.