My new EF 50mm 1.8II lense

Photography, Origami, knitting, gambling, sea shells, vacations... you name it! Share your hobbies with like-minded enthusiasts here.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Eddy
Insane Member
Insane Member

My new EF 50mm 1.8II lense

Post by Eddy »

OMG this lense is amazing, it so light and cheap and great results

look at the outfocusing !

Mikey_
Life is good. Be inspired.

Post by Mikey_ »

Whoa! Nice!! They look like studio-shot, professional pictures! Is that all natural lighting? I particularly like the Kenneth Cole shot. Whoa!

How much was it? This isn't the Image Stabilizer (IS) version, is it?

And how is this lens different than the factory one? Again, the numbers mean nothing to me... Does your new lens allow you to take better close-up pictures?
Eddy
Insane Member
Insane Member

Post by Eddy »

yeah, the lighting is all nature, i took it when i woke up from my nap in the afternoon at the hotel last weekend when i was up in toronto, the Guava Can was purposely placed and i moved little bit of the other objects like the kenneth cole reaction travel kit, i moved it into down into the jeans.

no, this isn't the IS version, I got this one for 77 dollars including s&h on www.pricegrabber.com (if u find a better place with better price, please inform me so i can buy future products there)

For 77 dollars, i don't think i can't expect anything superb, i am VERY satisfy.

yep your right mike, this lense is designed for close-ups and low light settings (i use it for indoors nowadays)

Oh the factory one is consider wide-angle (which is good)

i guess the two big differences i find is that this one can blur out objects that u dont' want much better, and the other difference is that it has no zoom, it just plain 50mm (scroll your factory lense on 50 and you'll see the zoom for this lense) so in other words, you cant' stand in one place, you must move around for almost everything. Which i think is really good for a beginner like me.

I wish i had the money to afford lighting equipment, and i need to learn how to use flash properly first.
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

Cool! $77 is pretty inexpensive, but I'm saving up for until I get a job first.

I really like how it blurs out all the other objects surrounding the focal point! And I thought the factory lens was already good doing that. I'm obviously wrong! hehehe

What's the difference between Wide-angle and Narrow-angle anyway, do you know?

Michael
Eddy
Insane Member
Insane Member

Post by Eddy »

i read it somewhere that anything below 20mm is consider a wide-angle lense.

i don'tk now how to explain 20mm ....sorry..it's just distance measurement.
Lexi
Lunatic
Lunatic

Post by Lexi »

Wow, Eddy! Your pictures came out awesome!
Eddy
Insane Member
Insane Member

Post by Eddy »

thanks lex
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

Hey Eddy,

With this lens, can you take a sample close-up shot of a bug for me (eg. ant)? I'd like to know how far you can zoom in and what it looks like before I buy one...

Thanks.

Michael
Eddy
Insane Member
Insane Member

Post by Eddy »

Hey mike,

I'm in china right now, i'll try to upload it when i get the chance, i might be heading to the country side in a bit so i'll have a better chance finding a unusual bug or insect.

alright, bye bye
Eddy
Insane Member
Insane Member

Post by Eddy »

Hey mike,

I'm Back, I am uploading ur bug photo i took in china

it's in full size (3mb) so u can see all the little details of the little devil.

I enjoy this lense, but i don't use it outdoors much.
Eddy
Insane Member
Insane Member

Post by Eddy »

opps forgot to give u the link

http://www.seascarsdale.com/CP/Bug.JPG

-ed
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

Hi Eddy! You're back from China? Thanks for uploading the picture :) I've already gone ahead and purchased the lens (haven't tried it yet) and can't wait to use it SOON in New York :)

I bought the Canon EOS 20D and am having it shipped to Maryland where I'll be picking it up on my way to NY next week. MB_rockstar is purchasing the Digital Rebel from me :)

Again, NIIIIIIIIIICE lens! I love that picture you posted!

So, what do you recommend to use this lens for? You mentioned that you're using it mostly indoor. Why?

Michael
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

Eddy wrote:i read it somewhere that anything below 20mm is consider a wide-angle lense.

i don'tk now how to explain 20mm ....sorry..it's just distance measurement.
50mm is "natural" eye viewing distance.
Anything above that is zooming.
Anything below that becomes closer to wide angle, meaning, it's zooming out.

I don't know why one would want a zoom-out lens, but my theory is this:

You're too close to a subject or you want to take a bigger snapshot of something, and because you're closer to the actual source (you're only optically further away, not physically), the lens captures more light than when you physically step back to "zoom out". Because it captures more light, the pictures come out nicer.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't experimented with that theory yet, nor have I made any research on this.

Michael
Eddy
Insane Member
Insane Member

Post by Eddy »

I am heading to Rochester this sunday till August 5th. Are you going to NYC only? HOpe we can meet up.

I recently bought some filters for my lenses, I have these 52mm Close Up +1, +2, +4 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... ype=search

These filters are like magnification glasses on camera lenses, the result is unbelievable when taking close-up photos. I'll upload later when i have faster internet.

I've only used the 50mm lense indoors for objects, i guess it's cuz when i go out, i just bring one lense and the 50mm just isn't flexible as my 28-135mm with image stabilizer where i can zoom in and zoom out like u said.

I'm thinking of buy a lowpro camera bag soon so i can bring both my lense and other stuffs.

I'm slowly relizing how much filters mean to lenses.
I am trying to learn how to use flash correctly. Flash is a such a major part of photography as well.

Your getting the 20D !!!! U just got the rebel !!!! i want to exchange for the new rebel xT !!!! your so lucky !!! mb_rockstar lucky too =)

Tell me about the 20D later, Is it worth the price? How much did u pay for it?

OH yeah in case u haven't heard, a 50mm on a digital camera becomes 80mm because u have mutilply it by 1.6 on a digital. so true wide-angle on a digital is hard to find, too expensive.
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

Rochester? That would be at least an 8 hour drive for us from Washington DC. Wouldn't mind meeting up with you though, but maybe next time. I'm sure I'll take one or two vacations next year :)

I've suggested to both of my friends to only stay in NYC for half a day and then head on over to Virginia for the waterfalls, maybe even all the way to West Virginia where some of the most beautiful (but treacherous) waterfalls in the nation are supposed to be. Let's hope none of us will slip as there have been 57 deaths/drownings last year.

Eh, HOLY CRAP about your filters! That'll be interesting to take a look at. I can't justify spending $100 on a filter like this though. Let alone $60 for UV/Polarizing filters -- I thought buying those for that much (also from Hoya) was already insane of me.

How much did you buy the 28-135mm for? What's the f-stop on it? 2.8? 3.5? All the lenses I want that are 2.8 or less are so freaking expensive, some even more than the camera itself by FAR.

I don't really like any of the Lowepro camera bags -- they look kind of odd and old. There's one that I really like at BestBuy.com, but I think it only comes as a combo with extra batteries, etc. I just want the bag.

EDIT: This LowePro seems nice, but VERY expensive: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 1384078332

Found the Canon camera bag I mentioned: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 1101643348 -- it looks like it may be too small though. If the LowePro above is big and nice, I'll look it up on eBay ;) Hope it'll be shipped on time before I head on over to MD.

EDIT 2: Never mind that LowePro bag. It still sells for at least $180 on eBay. Not that much cheaper than BestBuy. Hmm... I'll head on over to BestBuy anyway since there hardly are any bags that are big enough AND look good.

I originally wanted to exchange the Rebel for the Rebel XT too, but then I figured, for $300 more, I could go all the way up to the 20D. I paid $1,050 for it, shipped to Maryland, from Dell. That way I've saved myself another $99 tax (Dell doesn't charge tax in MD), for a total saving of $500 off the MSRP, or $200 off the sale at Costco.com (or any other place, for that matter.) I usually only buy expensive items when it's available for a really, really good deal. Bought the Rebel for $575 and after 6 months, it's still selling for more than that.

I played around with the Canon 70-300mm USM f/4-5.6 (the lower the f-stop, the better it can capture light) and took some really nice pictures (although grainy, particularly the zoomed ones.) Will post those someday. Many of those pictures came out bad though as there was no image stabilization. Out of about 300 pictures, I've only kept 50 or so. Thank goodness for Digital cameras! Imagine film processing...

Mike
Eddy
Insane Member
Insane Member

Post by Eddy »

oh i got all my camera bag and filters in china for like one-tenths of it's price.

this is the lowepro backpack i got in china for about 50 dollars cheaper(depending how you negoitate)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... Navigation

The 28-135 is f 3.5 - 5.6 i forgot the exact price, but it was in the high 400's.

wow u got the 20D for only 1050? that's real cheap. do you use any websites for these incredible deals?

waterfalls, i can't express how much i loveeeeeeeeeeeee waterfalls.

heres two of my favorite waterfall photos i took on my trip to china.

even with my IS, the picture is sorta blurry. I really need to work on holding the camera still.

here is a list of my camera accessories that i need=)

Eye Piece Extender
Battery Grip (one more battery)
Remote Control
Kenko Extension tube set
420ex Speedlite Flash

and
Ipod Shuffle for traveling by myself.
Last edited by Eddy on Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eddy
Insane Member
Insane Member

Post by Eddy »

Oh yeah have fun in NY, today was 93 degrees in the city.

Which part of west virginia has the best waterfalls in america? I would love to visit.

Mike, where would u recommend for me to travel in Cali for good scenery ?

See you next time !
Eddy
Insane Member
Insane Member

Post by Eddy »

Here's a couple of photos that i took with the addition of the macro filters (+1,+2,+4) to the 50mm lense

and (this was taken from my backyard) ( http://www.seascarsdale.com/CP/backyard.JPG )

I can't believe how well the photos turned out. I took about 40-50 photos. There are some negatives with these macro filters tho, the worst being that i had to literally zoom-in and out with the camera but everything else was pretty nice. OH yeah i used a tripod this time, i really should've bought the tripod with me to china.

also can you guys tell me which cup you think looks the best from these two images of the four cups.

thanks alot.
Mikey_

Post by Mikey_ »

Oh yeah, I forgot that you can get things cheaper in China. Hmph. Makes me jealous!

I frequent bensbargains.net and fatwallet.com/c/18 quite a lot, and that's how I got those deals.

I absolutely LOOOOOOOVE waterfalls too and have yet to find one that i'll be blown away by (as a photograph.) That's one of the reasons for why I'll be spending the majority of the time in Virginia -- it's confirmed now: we'll be spending HALF a day in NY, and a WHOLE day in Virginia (not W. Virginia.) I'll be in the Shenadoah National Park and probably also visit historic sites in VA (eg. Jefferson's home.)

I can't express how green-eyed I am after looking at your waterfall pictures. I'm hoping to be able to find something similar myself in VA. Exposure time of 1/6sec, that's all that's needed huh?

Holding the camera still definitely takes lots of practice, but it can be done. I've been able to photograph scenes at a 5 second exposure without a tripod before, although only at a 50% success rate. You'll just have to keep holding your breath and learn how to stand still -- it's TOUGH!

I wouldn't mind getting a battery grip too -- those darn suckers are so expensive.

Remote control I got from eBay -- it's on its way in the mail to Maryland ;)

Flash... wouldn't mind one either, but I'll only buy it once I've gotten better at photography and/or making money from the pictures. Someone took a nice fireworks picture over the ocean before and made over $400,000 from it in just 2 years! Whoa! It does require lots of work marketing it and all, but if I can be that successful, forget IT and welcome world travel! :D

I'd suggest you get an iPod Mini over the Shuffle.

From the 4 cups, I like the 1st one. But before I can say anything definite, why you asking? Marketing picture for your restaurant? I've put something together for my mom before. Let me see if I can find it to give you an idea.

Mike

EDIT: Here they are...

Image Image Image Image

My mom (created this poster for fun.)

My youngest brother caught sleeping (did this as a joke too.) That's how I got the inspiration for "dreamin'" for the other signs :)
Lexi
Lunatic
Lunatic

Post by Lexi »

These are pretty neat, Eddy. The picture of the eye was intriguing. Who or what is that? :-D

Mike: mom is a cutie!

Lexi