Martha Stewart...5 months in jail

Have something to share? Talk about anything here :)

Moderator: Forum Mods

Mavis
Crazed Fan
Crazed Fan

Martha Stewart...5 months in jail

Post by Mavis »

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Martha Stewart was sentenced to five months in prison and fined $30,000 Friday for lying to investigators about her sale of ImClone Systems stock in late 2001.

Federal Judge Miriam Cedarbaum also ordered Stewart to five months of home confinement and two years of supervised probation after she is released. It was the minimum sentence the judge could impose under federal sentencing guidelines.

Terrible....she got off easy just because of who she is. I don't know why but I hate her, hopefully her career is shot for good.
Eddy
Insane Member
Insane Member

Post by Eddy »

i don't know, but i think comparing to other similars cases, i feel sorry for her.

i guess i'm jsut more cold hearted, i didn't think she did anything wrong...
Eddy
Insane Member
Insane Member

Post by Eddy »

oh and i think there is just no room in US prisons for white coller criminals.

I think i would've done the same crime if i was in her situation, the insider trading ,which was the actual crime that she should've been charge but instead she got hit by a cheap but clever shot (i wouldn't have lied tho).
Mavis
Crazed Fan
Crazed Fan

Post by Mavis »

Lying is the stupidest thing she could do. If it's just insider trading and she admits it, she would get a slap on the wrist given who Martha is. But lying sort of ticks of investigators when they obviously have the evidence before arresting you.
Eddy
Insane Member
Insane Member

Post by Eddy »

yea i agree, lying is stupid

i wonder how much damage are her lawyers gonna take from this.
Contrai
Fan
Fan

Re: Martha Stewart...5 months in jail

Post by Contrai »

Mavis wrote:NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Martha Stewart was sentenced to five months in prison and fined $30,000 Friday for lying to investigators about her sale of ImClone Systems stock in late 2001.
who ?
never heard from
Mavis
Crazed Fan
Crazed Fan

Post by Mavis »

Martha Stewart is known as the "Homemaker Queen" in the US/Canada and some other parts of the world. Not sure how she started but she has her line of home-related products (household items, bathroom/garden related items) and is "role model/idol" of many housewives.

Hope you get an idea.
Contrai
Fan
Fan

Post by Contrai »

Mavis wrote: Hope you get an idea.
yes, thanks.
the female counterpart to Tim Taylor in Home Improvement
:mrgreen:
Lexi
Lunatic
Lunatic

Post by Lexi »

Good morning everyone,

I do believe that Martha Stewart is being used as a scapegoat.I am sorry for her on a personal level. This can not be an easy time for her or her family.

I am glad that prosecutors have persued this indictment to fullest extent of the law.

Ms. Stewards actions, though mimaced by many rich and powerful people the world over, need to be addressed. The world of finance is a fragile one and scandals within the last 10 years are testimony to that. For the sake of the common shareholder I am glad that Ms. Stewart is being brought to justice.

Lexi
Mavis
Crazed Fan
Crazed Fan

Post by Mavis »

Welcome Lexi.

Yes, Martha might be a scapegoat, but I think the regulators need to prosecute someone as high profile as she is to show to the common shareholders that they really mean business.